Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Neighbours

and Relatives are two important classes of people. You cannot choose them. But they hold a sizeable sway over the direction of your thoughts and the quality of your peace. What they say, what they do, goes buzzing in your mind like excited bees narrating flower gossip. Neighbours though have a more immediate and dramatic effect.

Appetising aromas waft in just as you begin to serve plain rice with potato curry. Their carpenter is at work just when you are cosy with a book. Their playful nephew just rings your doorbell in mirth… how cute!
We have Father’s day, Mother’s day, Doctor’s day, Heart day, Friendship day and so many other days. I really really campaign for HAPPY NEIGHBOUR’S DAY.

I walk across the corridor and say
HND … Thank god, I have you as my neighbour. You are a wonderful family.
I buy a dozen more and knock on doors, smile sweetly and say
HND … and hey, can you stop dragging around your furniture at 12 in the night? People are sleeping you know?
HND … your purple saree runs colour naa? I find purple spots in my balcony.
HND … your cooking smells divine. We should have a pot-luck dinner some day.

Of course I may receive some like
HND ... which noisy movie were you watching yesterday night?
HND … did you forget to turn off … (ignore that, I decided not tell you)

But IMAGINE!!

Mr. Obama makes a call to say
HND … I appreciate you guys coming here and working harder than we ever can

Mr. Singh makes a call to say
HND … Together we can be a formidable force, what say, shall we jus lay the superficial differences aside?

Or YKW makes a call to say
HND … go jump. We think for ourselves. And we want peace here in the subcontinent.

Awesome naa?

Archies and Halmark, you guys listening? Only you can do this one.
Let’s have NEIGHBOURS DAY cards please.

3 comments:

  1. Very very good thinking, it is great .Why not Aug 15th be celebrated as GNB ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome thought!
    by the way what did you forget to turn off? curiosity kills the cat.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for stopping by. Do tell me what you think.