Saturday, September 18, 2010

Death of a Mosquito

mmmmmnnn.....mmmnn.....mmmmmmmmnnnnn......................................thuuttth
A mosquito lands on my wrist. It has been singing into my ear and troubling me for a long time now. I wait, carefully swing my other hand and whack the mosquito is dead. But yesterday when a fly buzzed in I tried to shoo it away. With a large magazine I guided it so that it flew off into the balcony and to freedom - of both the fly and mine.
As a Hindu I believe that every living thing has a soul. The tree has as much right to life as me. I can see a Ganesha even in an advantageously aligned stone.
The fly was allowed life while the mosquito was killed.
I begin to doubt my peace loving nature. Does violence or abstention have more to do with the inconvenience of the dismal remains?
We are kind and loving for that is more convenient. We hold our tongue when violence can result in harmful debris. Can we hold our tongue even when we know that the debris is not too inconvenient?
That is the true test of non-violent thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for stopping by. Do tell me what you think.