Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Bargaining, How not to

A whole lot of odd jobs needed to be done. I made a comprehensive list.


• New curtain rods fixing
• Nails for artefacts
• Wall mounted fan
• Pulley clothesline to be wired
• A door that did not shut
• Two window mosquito meshes to be fixed

You get the picture? These were small jobs that not many handymen are keen to take on. Finally I got a carpenter who agreed to do this for me. Azad studied the list carefully, made various calculations. He worked out costs for material and labour. Then said that he would do it for Rs. 4200/-.

I am in Delhi and a seasoned housewife … like any self respecting Indian woman worth her salt … I bargained and brought down the total cost to 3600/-.
Fine
Woh bhi khush. Main bhi khush.

Azad promised to come the next day. He did. And began work in earnest at 8 in the morning. It was easily going to take him a few hours. Soon he got busy and I dipped my nose into my computer, checking mails, blogging and completing assignments.

Meera has mailed. She reminds me of our annual contribution to our favourite NGO. What would I want to support? She asks. I dash off a reply, putting my name to one of the causes on their list and hit send.

At half past twelve, the carpenter asks me for a broom. He has completed the tasks.

• New curtain rods are fixed and he has put up the curtains too
• Nails are in place and artefacts adorn the walls
• Wall mounted fan is fixed and working with the wires tucked neatly in metal clasps
• Pulley clothesline is wired and oiled too
• The door shuts and the latches are relocated so that they function
• Two window mosquito meshes are fixed
• A wobbly table is now stable

The work is perfect. He picks the broom and sweeps the places, leaving the floor nice and clean. Anything else? Azad asks me with a smile. I bargained with this wonderful man for 600/- denying him his due while I got my money’s worth. And here I am sending out a few thousands to an NGO which would use a part of what I send for a cause.

I am feeling guilty at my bargaining prowess.
Am I crazy?
I sometimes feel all this charity is a sham to cover up our guilt of not giving worthy people what they deserve.
I say
Don’t give charity.
Don’t bargain.
You employ ten or twelve persons for various jobs everyday. Pay them what they ask for.
That is charity. Not towards them.
But towards you.
towards your healthy soul.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, totally! We think we are smart by denying people what they ask for the fear of being called naive or dumb, but when we actually think about it, what you say makes more sense. Plus you have the added benefit of this person responding to your call next time. He will definitely, anyday, come to your house to attend your work because he knows he will be paid well and that you believed him. Even if he is trying to take advantage, he will amend himself and charge you the right amount. I have experienced this many times. Once they realize that you are not going to bargain, they tend to give you a better price, next time you visit the store. This usually happens when you go vegetable or fruit shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bharathi, and do you notice we always bargain with the economically weaker. we never bargain at Barista do we??!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting read. and i totally agree. should have read this blog before going shopping last weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for stopping by. Do tell me what you think.