Saturday, March 12, 2011

It's not about the Bike - Lance Armstrong

Suji’s mom and my BIL’s MIL Janaki, make awesome kodbaleys. A kodbaley is a crisp, spicy, deep fried ring made from rice flour - maida - rava. A plate of kodbaleys and a cup of steaming coffee is excitement. The spicy bite and the steaming cuppa trigger conversation, memories, and plans.

I bite into a spicy crisp kodbale, sip at the steaming coffee and go into hiccups. When I sit with coffee and kodbaley I know what’s coming. But this is a pain I seek! I am happy to go crunch-sloorp-hic-crunch-sloorp-hic!


coffee with kodbaley
 We go on long treks, move to different cities, sign up for courses, scratch our heads at blank pages, or climb the Himalayas. Our well-wishers ask in perplexed anxiety
Ayyyo, why are you troubling yourself so much?
We have no answer

Lance Armstrong has a wonderful line in his book ‘It is not about the bike’. The book is about his passion for the bicycle, his determined entry into race-biking, his tryst with cancer, the difficult days of recovery and his systematic come back and finally success at Tour de France. The book is a must read – for it fills you with hope and resolve and joy.
There is this person who asks Lance what pleasure he derived from such strenuous and lengthy cycling. Lance writes, ‘Pleasure? I asked. I didn’t understand the question. I didn’t do it for pleasure, I did it for pain’.

Let us seek our pains with pride. We do not need to make excuses and or find reasons to support our wild endeavors. It’s quite OK to find pleasure in a pain! … aaahn as long as the pain we seek is our own!

I like this book:
Lance Armstrong
It’s not about the bike
My journey back to life

1 comment:

Hey, thanks for stopping by. Do tell me what you think.