Saturday, March 19, 2011

Lessons in Forgetting - Anita Nair

Lessons in Forgetting
Anita Nair

This is a book I will not forget in a hurry.

Lessons in Forgetting
by Anita Nair

This was my first Anita Nair and I am craving for more. I plan to borrow all her books from bookmeabook. And maybe buy one or two too.
This story weaves around 4 women caught in the net of memories. There are many conversations, wistful dreaming, harsh realities and wonderfully Indian similes.
The descriptions bring alive the flavours and ambience till you can actually smell the overgrown garden and the coffee from the coffee cups.
A definite must read.
It captures the magic of India and all its complexities without being apologetic or clumsy.
Just loved it.



5 comments:

  1. We had 'Village by the sea' as text in school. Good book - wasn't it her daughter who won this literary award at a very young age? I read that book too but can't, for the life of me, remember the name. Vikram Seth is the best though!

    Pratibha

    ReplyDelete
  2. On second thoughts, I think I have mixed up Nair with Desai - it was Anita Desai who wrote the book I was referring to...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @pratibha most English text books here have a story by anita desai and one by ruskin bond. both great fav with kids and teachers. funny descriptions and twist in tail endings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @mohit, thank you, and happy reading

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for stopping by. Do tell me what you think.