Thursday, July 14, 2011

Adobe walls

I am in Mexico with Anita Desai as I nestle in my armchair turning the pages of her book- The Zigzag Way. The arid scenery reminds me of the long drive from Jodhpur to Jaisalmer, Rajasthan. My imagination can only match my experience.

There is a repeated mention of adobe walls in the story. So I Google. Adobe walls are made of sun-baked bricks fashioned out of locally available mud and straw. Essentially - munnina-maney - as we say in Kannada in our villages. I saw some very lovely homes in Gundlapet. Adobe walls are very strong and stay for years if not centuries.

Manali has these quaint old homes in the undisturbed villages of Goshal and Barua. You see them during your drive to Manikaran or Solang Valley.

ancient home
Walls are made of stones of varying colours and sizes packed tightly like kids in a class photo.

stone wall
 Slate tiles on the roof protrude at varying angles like the teeth of an old woman.

slate tile roof
 No shortage of fresh air in this wooden shack.

wooden shack

1 comment:

  1. Aunty i remember picking up Arundhati Roy's God of Small Things after its review in India Today, which was before it won the award, because of the mention of one metaphor - the sky was as wrinkled as the thumb of a washerman. It sounded so original and awesome! And now here we have absolute masterpieces from you in
    "Walls are made of stones of varying colours and sizes packed tightly like kids in a class photo."
    and
    "Slate tiles on the roof protrude at varying angles like the teeth of an old woman. "

    Aunty you are a genius! Please write a book!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for stopping by. Do tell me what you think.