Friday, June 19, 2020

35 Rose Buds

A Painting and a Story #3
I can sit on the sandy sea-shore and watch the waves make and break endlessly, without a thought in my head. The sea has this effect on me. As a kid I spent the years 1965 to 69 in Madras (now Chennai). We stayed driving distance from the beach and my father (I call him Anna) took us to the beach every Wednesday. Now I wonder, why mid-week? To avoid the weekend crowd? To give my Mother a mid-week break? Or he had no meetings that day?
Anyway this hour at the beach was a time when we shared stories, played ball with my father, ran with a noisy kite, ate ice-cream and came back refreshed. On one such evening my Amma shared this narrative.

It is early 1953. Anna has come with a retinue of relatives to 'see' my mother. Elaborate preparations are made to receive the important guests. Sajjige (sooji halwa) and bonda (bajji and pakoda) is ready. Coffee is waiting to be made and served. Everybody is talking to everybody!
No one notices that my 4 year old cousin, my father's nephew, is missing from the hall. He soon makes a grand entry and my then 18 year old Amma gasps in hidden dismay! The 4 year old's plate has neither sajjige nor bonda (perhaps discarded hastily behind the rose bush?). The boy walks to my Amma and offers her 35 rose buds that he has diligently plucked off the lovingly nurtured pink rose bush in the front-yard! Amma is desperately trying to hide her tears! Her precious roses! Apologies are made, kids will be kids.... they all say. I turn to Anna and say, 'that must have made her so sad'. Anna replies in his cryptic way, 'You are only as sad as you allow yourself to be'. I dismiss that with a shrug of a 10 year old. 

It was years later that I came across these Sanskrit lines  'Aathmaiva aathmano bandhu, aathmaiva ripurathmanaha...'     This means: We are our own friend, and we are our own enemy!

We are now in 'Selfie'culture. We rarely have the inclination to look beyond our noses! We see an action, and instantly build up stories in our mind and react like an erupting volcano! Bitter experiences linger on longer than we deserve to hold them. Thankfully Amma saw the adorable intention behind the rose buds! Like Anna said -You are as sad as you allow yourself to be. 

Here is an Oil Painting - The Beach - for all those evenings at the Madras sea-shore.


The Beach - Oil Painting







5 comments:

  1. Aw, this was a very nice post. Spending some time and actual effort to generate a really good article… but what can I say…
    I procrastinate a whole lot and don't seem to get
    anything done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for one's marvelous posting! I really enjoyed reading it, you can be a
    great author. I will remember to bookmark your blog and may come back in the foreseeable future.
    I want to encourage you to definitely continue your great writing,
    have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, I read your blogs daily. Your story-telling style is awesome, keep
    it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could not refrain from commenting. Well written!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, this was an incredibly good post. Taking a few minutes and actual effort to create a superb article…
    but what can I say… I put things off a lot and don't manage to get
    nearly anything done.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for stopping by. Do tell me what you think.