Monday, February 15, 2010

An Umbrella-Walk In Pouring Rain


This happened years ago, when my little one was really little. She was in class one…or perhaps class two and I was a non-working, flustered, always tired, serventless, fulltime mom of two. My little one got up late and was in no mood to go to school. ‘Can I stay at home?’ She asked me. I hustled her into a quick warm bath, two tight ponies, a crisp school uniform, and whisked her off to school. Maybe I needed the respite of a quiet home. Maybe I thought she would make this a habit. Maybe I wanted to do the ‘right thing’. But this I know for sure. Her eyes even now cloud over when she recalls that day. I had missed some magic moments. Moments that we must cherish we just gloss over. O that’s nothing, we say brushing off a compliment. Are we embarrassed by happiness? Or are we scared? We choose to brood over and discuss sadness and sickness. Our TV news is of bombing, betrayal and berating. We inscribe each tragic thought deeply into our souls….making them black.
What is your magic moment of the day?
Cherish it. Experience it. Be aware of it. Watch out for it.
Think of it before you go to bed tonight. Here are some magic moments we love to recall

  • An orange sunset at Goa
  • An umbrella-walk in pouring rain
  • Celebrating an A (or even a C) in a class essay
  • Re-reruns of Full House
  • Bumpy camel ride in Jaisalmer
  • Taking pictures of a temple elephant on a busy city road
  • A satisfying dinner
  • Leaves flying in the wind
  • A warm phone call
  • Rows of twinkling Diwali lamps

 

 
Hang on to happy thoughts. Finally, that is what matters. What is your magic moment of the day?
Do tell us.

4 comments:

  1. I had a very strong deja-vu moment while reading this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one! That makes me think!! Have your ever realized that most of the happy moments are the FIRSTs???

    The First Hug & Kiss after the knot, First marathon run, First blog… and off course the first comment for the blog, First painting, First book read, First bike ride, First coffee in the morning, First birthday wish, the list just goes on…. So, as long as your life is filled with FIRSTs they will be absolutely enjoyable!! So start trying and experimenting today …

    …And I hope there are no LASTs, coz they leave you with a pinch of upset…

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and i wanted to add... thank god u pushed us to go to school!! or we would never have gone!!! seriously!! thank u for pushing us to school!!! dont think u missed out on anything! we were supposed to be in school!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for stopping by. Do tell me what you think.