Friday, June 5, 2020

A Moonlit Night

A painting and a story #1

COVID times! In Bengaluru the lockdown is partially lifted. My maid is back! It's OK to order food from Swiggy again. Auto travel is quite safe you know! Aah the simple pleasures of life. What joy they bring.

Another era! It is 2018. I'm visiting my daughter in Hoboken. She has enrolled me in an art class...  This is going to be my first attempt at oil painting. Sheri my sweet art instructor tells me to look for a picture that inspires me. I begin to browse. I am looking at image after image. I am lost in the images  that appear on screen. 
Wow I gasp. A click from a mountain top... an eagle swoops gracefully. A click from a sandy shore catches a high tide. A click from a meadow of flowers catches the breeze that bends them in one direction! The camera captures for ever a moment in time. It sees the moment. That's where life is. right? In the various NOWs....   So caught up are we in the pains of the past or in the hopes and fears of the future, that the present slips away un-noticed! But life happens in the present

I finally select a picture and launch myself into the wonderful journey of Oil Painting. I also meet in the studio the most amazing and inspiring Vasundhara. Like me she is a visiting Mom and we explore Hoboken and New York together. We sit by the Hudson and watch the Manhattan skyline, we hop into the light-rail with no destination in mind, we wander into shops (price tags don't deter us, we are not here to shop!), we share a burger (American servings are so huge!!!). Those moments with her have no burden of the past, nor do we really seek a future. We  revel in the fact that we have found a like minded friend in this home away from home.

This is the first STORY with a PAINTING. I hope to post one every week.
This quiet moonlit road is in the middle of a journey. It holds within it the paths travelled and the promise of the future. But this moment is beautiful too. Do you agree?  Incidentally today is purnima, full moon day!
My first OIL Painting. I am super thrilled and happy to share. Thank you Sheri from ARTMURAL




2 comments:

  1. Well written piece. Living in the present..if only we can all master the art...a much better place to be in (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the painting.though you speak of living in the present, it reminded me of my lovely childhood days. Looking forward to more from you.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for stopping by. Do tell me what you think.