Friday, July 24, 2020

Galti se Mistake

A Painting and a Story #8

Viju Khote has a famous dialogue in Andaz Apna Apna... Galti se mistake ho gaya (Raabert actually says mistek!) 'By mistake I made a mistake'!!! But maybe some mistakes are not so bad after all? Let me explain. 

It is about 8 in the evening. I realise that the exhaust fan in my bathroom is broken. Last month the fan made loud noises and the blades fell off! Can you believe it. The blades fell off ... thankfully the fan has a casing and the blades collected in there. So now you know that I didn't realise it suddenly... I have known for a month, but that day I am on a mission to SET IT RIGHT. So I hurriedly pick up my phone, find my favourite online shopping portal and type search for EXAST FAN. (You see I have a hangover from the PUNCHER shop, ALTIRASHUN Tailor and TESTY VAJ sandwich corner) A ton of options appear. I notice the error and quickly delete and type again EXHAUST with the H and U in place. Only two options appear. What? Only two exhaust fans to choose from, and that too from the same company! Gosh. really??! Curious I type the wrong spelling Exast and hit Search. Lo! A ton of options all selling exhaust fans! Not that I chose any! Covid time. No one visits anyway!
My mistake was not so much of a mistake right?

Ok. One more! Rewind to 10 years ago. My niece Hima Somebody (not her name ofcourse!) is travelling overseas for the first time. I want to check on her. I type a cozy Kanglish (Kannada- English) letter to her and send it... whoosh. 2 days later I get an email from Hima. Not my niece. This young lady, also a Hima Somebody, has recently moved to Canada, is missing her family and speaks Kannada!! My letter reaches her because of a wrongly placed dot in the email ID! She is overwhelmed by my letter. She responds. And my warm friendship with the Canada Hima continues to this day! 
My mistake was not so much of a mistake right?

Did you know? The Post-it notes were a result of a big goof up. The scientist wanted to invent the strongest glue and ended up with one that peeled off easily! Hilarious!
Harpik the toilet cleaner, microwave oven, and the inkjet printer and many more.. all came to be, because of some mistakes! I learn that the The first Practical Implantable Pacemaker - also was a result of picking up a part of the wrong size while trying to make a resistor! Many advertisements glorify this unique quality of Mistakes.My favourites are - Tedha hai par mera hai! and Daag acche hain!

The Japanese have Kintsugi. An ancient art of joining together broken pieces of exquisite pottery using lacquer dusted with gold. The cracks are consciously highlighted, thereby making the object even more beautiful. 

This is the Corona Time. Let's change the rules. Instead of bemoaning mistakes - ours and those of persons around us - let us embrace them and use them to understand processes better. Understand ourselves better!

My painting for this week is called Bottles. Oops! What's the hibiscus doing there!












2 comments:

  1. Hello! I could have sworn I've been to this
    website before but after browsing through many of the articles I realized it's new
    to me. Anyhow, I'm definitely happy I discovered it
    and I'll be bookmarking it and checking back often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today, I went to the beach front with my kids. I found
    a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She placed the shell to her ear and screamed.

    There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.
    She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is totally off topic but I had to tell someone!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for stopping by. Do tell me what you think.