Friday, July 31, 2020

The Search

A Painting and a Story # 9
Our neighbour in Calcutta was an ophthalmologist. I was about 9 years old and complained to my father that my eyes were hurting. He told me to run across to my neighbour's house for a check-up. It was as simple as that!  I didn't even know the doctor! But I went, and got a prescription too.
I can't imagine that combination of trust and independence now! 
Anyway so I've been wearing that thing on my nose for better vision for a very long time now. The strange thing is that over time I can read with and without by spectacles. So I am often guilty of leaving it here and there! Looking for my spectacles is a frequent ritual!
This happens one day at a corporate set up where I am working. My work is with e-learning. My eyes frequently move from printed page to computer screen. This day, I am hunting for my spectacles under the pile of books and papers, behind the monitor, inside my purse. But No. Can't find them anywhere. 

I'm thirsty. I pick up my water bottle to take a cooling sip and ask no one in particular ... 'Seen my glasses?'
Shubha looks up from her pile of books and points vaguely at the water-cooler area. 'Glasses'... she says helpfully pointing at the neat row of plastic mugs and cups!
No yaar! Specs, I need my specs. 
Monica, who assigns projects retorts sharply 'I emailed the specs on the HB project yesterday at 4 pm. No change'. You see she is talking about project specification... !! How many animations, list of topics etc.
'Gosh you guys! Chashma... ba-ba... I need chashma!' I say exasperated.
'Chashma is in the lunch room. He is having mid morning snack' offers Samuel from somewhere! Veeran is called Chashma because of some forgotten internal joke. He's our big boss for God's sake. I wouldn't call him that so loudly! Samuel is new. He thinks that's his name!
'Gosh Sam! You know that thing I wear here'... I say signalling to the bridge of my nose.
Samuel's eyes brightens up. 'Oh BiNDiiii' he says, with an accent. You are wearing one. You need one more?
Oof forget it...
When I am really troubled I pull off my scrunchy and do my hair again. So I did that. And down they tumbled. My glasses, specs, kanadka, whatever you want to call them was stuck into my hair. I must have pushed it back while pondering over and editing a storyboard! I shake out my hair and look up to see them all trying hard not to laugh. I smile and they dissolve into the humour!!!

Much is said about how we are surrounded by persons during good times only to be abandoned during bad times. True friendship shows up in adversity. So they say. However true that may be...

I think it takes a real friend to pull your leg and enjoy a good joke with you. It takes a good heart to celebrate your success with you. In this world where jealousy and greed come so easily, if you have found a friend who jumps for joy when you shine, who is happy when you succeed, who pushes you to try, and hears you out when you vent, then you are truly blessed. I have found such friends. I do wish that you dear reader may find friends who rejoice with you. Many friendships wait across the river of mutual trust. 
My painting for this week is the Manhattan skyline seen from this side of the Hudson river where I spent a few months with my daughter and family.
Acrylic, Manhattan Skyline.

Acrylic, Manhattan Skyline



 




3 comments:

  1. Thanks on your marvelous posting! I seriously enjoyed reading it, you will be a great author.I will make certain to
    bookmark your blog and definitely will come back someday.
    I want to encourage you to ultimately continue
    your great work, have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.

    I've joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of
    your fantastic post. Also, I've shared your web site in my social
    networks!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for stopping by. Do tell me what you think.