Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Fun is in the Planning

About something that did not happen

Yesterday ...
we are planning for a much awaited visit by an Uncle and Aunt. Chanchu and Viju are to stay with us for a week. There is much to discuss about
what to cook
what to display
what to buy
where to go
etc
lists are made (This is an obsession...I just love making lists)
sheets are washed, pressed and readied
special crockery is taken out
ultra fine dusting is arranged
new covers adorn tables
and I get a phone call ....Oh! It's my Uncle. Asking about the airport pick-up no doubt.
err Ratna...I have something to tell you
Your Aunt has had a bad fall. Her wrist is fractured. They have put a plaster. She is in no mood to travel. So...we will not come this time.
Do I feel sorry for her?
Do I feel sorry for us?
My feelings are mixed.
I was so looking forward to having them here...
This is like a chocobar that has fallen off the stick
This is like the hydrogen balloon that has escaped from a kid's fist
This is like a book with the last pages missing

I know I am being selfish. Thinking of myself while my Aunt is in pain. O..but I am disappointed.


-----------
Well...some other time?

red fort

3 comments:

  1. Completely agree Ma'am........the same kind of thing happened to me when I was being a hostess for the first time.So you can imagine my dissapointment when the guest did not turn up
    after all the time I spent doing up my home!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that feeling. We went through the whole house, curtain by curtain if you will, when we got that call from my mom-in-law three days before they were to arrive in Bangalore in 2009. The worst part was knowing that their visit would never happen, the stuff he came down would not go away in a week or even a year.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for stopping by. Do tell me what you think.