Sunday, March 13, 2011

Using the navigator

Achu suggests a hotel we can have lunch in. She has heard of it from her colleague. We only know the name and locality. How do we go there??
The navigation tool in my Nokia fascinates me. The road map is there for me to see. A red arrow tells me where I am. A highlighted blue path shows me where I need to go next.
Oops! The driver takes a wrong turn ... he had a different hotel in mind!
oh no! we tell him. THIS is the place we want to go to...
oho!
but not to worry...(and this bit is very interesting)
the map rearranges itself
and again a new route is displayed. Again a new path is highlighted in blue to show me how to reach the hotel of my choice.


There is a catch though. I need to type in a place. My cell phone asks me ... To? I cannot ignore that question. The navigation tool works only when the 'TO' is specified.

How many of us bother to equip our children with the capacity to set a goal? How many of us teach them to enter this detail,
Where do you want to go?

Most of the time the parent has set the goal for the child. Engineering degree? Business? Hotelier? Government job? Marriage? But does the child accept this goal? Has the child too set a goal? Quite often the child has not learnt the art of setting the destination. Obviously navigation tools cannot work here...
In that case
the car of his life just turns at the next best turn and goes where whim takes it
and the car may reach a destination that is not too welcome
or the car may land in a place that is most pleasant
Like Nokia has, we too as parents must hand over a navigation tool to our children, empowering them to enter
From?
and
To?

Navigation is an important tool in life. A navigation tool helps us go where we want to go.
Making a weekly target, a monthly target and annual targets is a good thing. The child may or may not achieve them all. Still you have empowered him/her with the tool of goal setting. He will be able to use the compass when required.

-------------------

1 comment:

  1. wah wah wah! did not expect such a philosophical turn! :)
    well said!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for stopping by. Do tell me what you think.